Search This Blog

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Too Much Free Time...



Like pretty much every member of my generation, I grew up playing Mario Brothers games. Even though I am in my late 20s now, they still have not lost their charm for me...you can still find me playing some variation of Super Mario on the weekends. This is my beaded homage to the games that have taken up hours of my life. This piece was especially fun to make not only because it is a Mario mushroom, but also because the smile on my husband's face was priceless when he realized what I was making.



This project was a long time in the making. I got the idea after examining the pixelated images and realizing they would transfer very well into a square stitch graph pattern. I got out my handy-dandy Rhodia graph notepad and sketched out a basic design. (Rhodia notepads are truly THE BEST when designing square or ladder stitch designs, but I digress). After sketching it out, the design languished in my notebook for lack of time to actually begin working on it in real life. About a year after I made the original sketch, I finally started working on it involuntary wisdom tooth vacation. I used 4mm Miyuki cubes and it was done in no time. The finished product measures approximately 2.5" by 3" and will probably end up being a fridge magnet. If a few more rows of boarder are added to each side, it could easily become a coaster.

I sense a series of Nintendo-themed beaded projects in my future as soon as I have some more free time to work on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment